Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Hedge Apple Season is Back!


Hedge Apple Season is Back!

If you know me, you know I adore hedge apples... the smell, the shape, the texture... and this time of year you can find them all over ohio.

Yesterday at Heuston Woods, I told the kids we were hunting for hedge apples and especially Lydia, got VERY into it. So much so, we'd be driving a long and she'd yell HEDGE! and I would stop the car, run out and grab it, and we would continue on. Luckily the park was very empty... but we hit the mother-load at the quarry picnic area, Lydia wanted to take them all... but I convinced her one busshel basket was enough.

The whole car smelled like Granny Smith apples... this is what Fall is supposed to smell like.

Anyway, for those of you that don't know, Hedge apples take about forever to rot, and really kind of just get hard as longas they aren't cut up or smashed. They smell nice and ward off wood spiders from your home (which is why my Nana J used to keep them in closets... and my Granny K kepts them in various spots as well). They look a little like brains and are bright green... You CANNOT eat them... CANNOT... but they make nice fall decorations.

Anyway, Mom in Law informed me that they are loaded so I am looking to fill one more bushell basket ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment