Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Time Can Do, So Much


time can do, so much

1917 - 2010

About two hours ago, it's 4:05pm, my great grandma passed away.
It's a little surreal.

I knew a woman in housecoat, that smelled like soft, ivory soap, and spoken in a sweet tone, with a wonderful high laugh that sounded like a song. She fed me cookies, and candy and that famous red-cinnamon applesauce. She told me stories about her "good ole days". She had a house full of framed photographs of her family, and good things to say about every one of us. She loved the Lord.

I took Lydia to see her after she was born and on her 90th birthday we attended and Rooster met her as well. I have a photo I took of her that day, where she looks so radiant. Where she feels loved and is beaming love, and that is how I see her. That's what I saw when I closed my eyes today and thought of her.

I love her deeply and I am so glad that she is finally free. Free from her own faults and the swarms of hurt around her. Free from pain and sorrow. In heaven, dancing and singing and laughing that song like giggle.

There are generations of us now, My Dad, his Mother, his brothers and sisters, My cousins, My children and My cousins children... all with baggage, all handling our own lives differently.

We're all out here, trying to make sense of things, missing her and trying to make our own peace.

I love you Great Gran, I'll see you soon and maybe we can swap a few stories over a bowl of red-cinnamon applesauce...

xox

4 comments:

Denise on January 28, 2010 at 4:22 AM said...

oh i am so sorry for your loss. what a wonderful tribute to your great grandma.......such beautiful words. I pictured her in my mind........what a beautiful woman....

Beth Simmons on January 28, 2010 at 7:41 AM said...

I'm so sorry to read of your loss. I'm glad you have some great memories of her to treasure and some photos too. Heaven gets sweeter with each loved one we have waiting on us there. This is a lovely tribute to her.

Maegan Beishline on January 28, 2010 at 8:36 AM said...

I'm very sorry for your loss, Johnna! But how lucky she is {after such a long life} to be at peace with the Lord. Big hugs to you!

fullofbliss on January 28, 2010 at 10:37 AM said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your great grandma. Your tribute is so beautiful. It's so wonderful to know that although we feel sorrow and will miss our loved ones who have passed, we can take comfort in the Lord and know that there is hope, and we will see them again.
{{HUGS}}~Rebekah

Post a Comment