Saturday, February 27, 2010

Holding Hands


 
A mother's arms are made of tenderness and children sleep soundly in them.  ~Victor Hugo

Holding Hands

Being a mother means always having the energy, always having the open arms and the gently touch, it means holding hands if that's all you can do.
I know that the time for skipping and hand-holding is dwindling. Since Lydia got this new hair cut she is feeling even more grown up, and Rooster refuses to admit he is 3, he will yell "NO I'M FOUR!" He says he doesn't need help doing anything. Even Layla has her moments of fierce Independence. Sure, I have made the effort to teach them independence, and that they are capable "can do kids" ... but it breaks my heart. 
So, even more than I already have, I vow to cling to the moments of holding hands, and carrying Rooster up to his bed at night. I will speak softly and remind them that no matter how big they get, they are always my babies. I will foster independence by re-affirming security in my love and arms... I will be all I can for them ... and will continue forever.

3 comments:

Beth Simmons on February 27, 2010 at 7:25 AM said...

Awww, you have such a sweet way of writing and expressing motherhood. You are a wise woman! Enjoy every moment you can. And someday, when they are successful, independent adults, you will know, with your broken sad heart, that you did a great job!

Maegan Beishline on February 27, 2010 at 7:54 AM said...

Oh Johnna! I can so relate to wanting your kids to be independent yet simultaneously wanting them to stay little! Those elements are constantly struggling within me! You're such a sweet mama!

Amber Rosie on February 27, 2010 at 11:33 AM said...

I am really happy that the kids are so independent and have their own attitudes and all, but it is sad to think of them as no longer babies!

Post a Comment