Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Letters


 
Our Three Perspectives Project this week was themed, “Letter” which really rang home with me. Oddly enough, it was my turn to pick, and in keeping with our “rules” I closed my eyes, opened my faithful old dictionary, randomly dropped my finger and opened my eyes. It landed on “Letter”.
| top - Maegan; middle - Sarah; Bottom - Johnna(me) |



Just over a year ago, I was sitting in a hospital room, writing letters to Layla in my journal for her. I was praying and trying to keep faith that she was going to be all right.

I have been writing letters to my children since Lydia was born … it’s something I wanted to do, so that someday when they are all grown up, or when I am gone, they will have my deepest emotions and my truest sentiments of the love I feel for them.




It’s something to leave behind.

So in the spirit of things, I dug out the first letter I ever wrote to Lydia…and spent some time reflecting… It was Mothers Day 2005.
I love letters.

Handwritten memories.

I think we should all keep more journals, write more letters, take more photos. This is our legacy we’re leaving behind.

Layla wanted to “write some letters” too, so, I gave her the pen and paper and I sat back and took some photos. She wore Lydia’s handmade dress, and just sat in the window sill and enjoyed her self.
 
















I live for those moments. They are what REALLY matters.

Each of the photos in this series mean something different to me... and they are all very simple. But something came together for me while taking them ... that we have made it, that our children are healthy and there is nothing to small to see beauty in... So, Each day I will blog about the photos in this series  ... It's something to refocus my thoughts and priorities... 


4 comments:

Beth Simmons on February 24, 2010 at 5:35 AM said...

Johnna, these are all such sweet photos. And besides being sweet in composition, soft pink tones and gorgeous light, they are sweet because of your sweet words and thoughts that go with them. You keep on amazing me at the depth of insight you have for such a young mother. Wish I had been so smart:) Your words and thoughts are beautiful and I look forward to reading about these photos on your blog in the coming days. Thanks for being you:)

Aurea on February 24, 2010 at 6:00 AM said...

beautiful words and images, I´ll be looking forward to finding new posts daily!
A. xx

Amber Rosie on February 24, 2010 at 8:43 AM said...

I lvoe all of these photos and cannot wait to read the other blogs. I think it is great that you write to the babies. THat is so special! To have something that you put your heart into words- amazing!

all that i am on February 28, 2010 at 4:33 PM said...

it is a beautiful..."perfect"...series!
all of it
the subjects...
the light
the laundry room
the letters...yours and the babes

Post a Comment