Thursday, February 4, 2010

the view from here



I decided to tackle another photography goal... ttv.

1/100 : snowy little february ttv

John got me an awesome group of camera's from ebay, I'm in the process of photographing them all, cleaning them up and just enjoying them. I wish it was spring already so I could use them in some shots that are mulling around in my mind ;)

Anyway, about the whole ttv thing, if you don't know, ttv is a style of photography that is very basic in theory, shoot a photo through the viewfinder of an older camera. It's trickier than that sounds, you need to focus right and block the light from the viewfinder. Some people build "contraptions" to aid in this, but that concept is lost on me right now.
So, I used a piece of card stock to block some light, and made sure the camera was steady, then did my best to focus, it's difficult ;)
I shot this little Popsicle stick snowflake through the viewfinder of a Kodak Brownie Starflex camera from the 1950's. I like it, atleast for a start, I hope they get better.
I also want to keep this really pure to the whole ttv idea, I won't be tweaking them at all, except for the square crop... so what you see is what you get :)

3 comments:

Jenn on February 4, 2010 at 12:23 PM said...

I am in love with the raw nature of this picture. The 'age spots' givei t so much character. I'm looking forward to seeing more!

Beth Simmons on February 4, 2010 at 2:45 PM said...

Johnna, I'm so proud of your for doing this! I have been wanting to for some time but just thought it was so far beyond me. Maybe your "go for it spirit" will give me the boost I need. This first ttv of yours is one of my favorite! It turned out great. A friend of mine actually won a prize with $$$ for a ttv of hers. Anyway, I didn't mean to say so much. I just wanted to tell you how excited I am that you jumped right in and did such a great job!

Amber Rosie on February 4, 2010 at 6:02 PM said...

I think this is great! You are going to do great at this goal! I was totally unaware of this type of photography.

Post a Comment