Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Decisions, Decisions




Cross your fingers... I've decided to work towards a year ( or 3 seasons rather ) of seriously building a diverse portfolio... not to "go pro" or something, just to push myself outside my comfort zone, to challenge myself, to become better at taking charge of my photography, to learn to shoot a wide range of subjects.
I have had a lot of people approach me or pass messages on about shoots, and I would really like to spread my wings in a safe way. I don't want to take on too much, more than I can handle or than I am comfortable with. I would like to do 2 sessions a month. I still want to be mostly a Momma.

I want to shoot ALL natural light, and on location, I want to get a feel for seniors, couples, newborns, families, everything. This year is one that could be pivotal, but if I don't jump in with both feet I will never do it, I will stay in my little box, comfortable, but never pushing beyond mediocre.

Thank you Maegan, your blog earlier really convinced me to go ahead and not take it too seriously. To delight in photography and do my best.

No... I won't be charging for my services, just the costs of prints, disks or anything else, I won't be marketing anything, just word of mouth stuff, families, friends and friends of friends. This is more MY journey. I hope to learn a lot.

I hope you aren't sitting back giggling at me, or thinking I am just an idiot. I want you to know I KNOW my short comings, I know the things that need lots of work, I know that I am no where near as good as the people that inspire me, but I am ready to learn... ready to try.

PS: Any advice, words of wisdom, constructive criticism ... or anything is much appreciated, and thank you for listening.

4 comments:

Beth Simmons on March 2, 2010 at 8:28 PM said...

That's so exciting! I know you will be wonderful at any type of photography you do. I also know that word of mouth is all you will need. I'm so excited to see where you go with your amazing talent!

Amber Rosie on March 3, 2010 at 6:13 AM said...

I am I excited!!! I am so glad you are going to do this! If you ever need a 'model' I volunteer. Maybe a trash the dress session with out to much trashing haha.

Anyway, I don't think any one would ever giggle at you, after seeing your work. This is going to be an amazing journey, and you will do great!

Maegan Beishline on March 3, 2010 at 12:28 PM said...

You are going to do great, Johnna! And this is a great way to get your feet wet and see what you enjoy doing! I keep thinking about the same things but, ultimately, I think I'm just too scared. I'm praying on...and perhaps He's answering and I'm not listening. Perhaps I need to go read my own post again!

Lindy Christopher on March 11, 2010 at 5:24 PM said...

i always love your still life photography!! you definitely have a talent so just go for it!! =)

Post a Comment