Thursday, April 1, 2010


Part Four : Stay at Home Moms





At the beginning of each part in this series you will see this little note. I want to remind you that I am not trying to come from a negative space, or a judgmental - holier than thou - kind of place. I’m coming from the place of a mother who knows she has a lot to learn, that she knows she has a long way to go… and that she loves being a mother. I hope that you don’t take anything I say as anything more than my own experience and a heartfelt message. I pass no judgment, and appreciate all mothers and the styles they embrace. I hope to learn something on this journey and hear your stories as well.

I have blogged about being a stay at home mom before… so, I won’t go into the details again… just that I feel like this is what is right for our family. That the sacrifices were worth it to me and that the knowing I can take part in my children’s growth and development is a huge blessing. I can’t imagine handing my child over to a grandparent or to a babysitter everyday, to instill in them things I may or may not agree with.

When I had my children, and even before then, I knew that I wanted to be the one to teach them, that I wanted my life to be about their life and that I would happily do without to see them thrive.

There may come a time, in this day and age, when we have no choice… we’ll need another income or we’ll take another financial hit. Who know what tomorrow will bring, I just want to make sure that if I ever do go to work, outside the home, that it is for the right reasons, reasons I can feel good about. And I thank God for the husband I have who is willing to work hard and support and agree with the decision for me to be at home.

I don’t believe in being a laze about stay at home mom… I have seen them. I have a big problem with that. Mothers and Fathers should work equally hard… the father at work, the mother in the home. And while we both deserve down time, like I get with my photography and blogging and John gets with his music, we both need to be willing to put in 100% everyday. That’s what keeps us supportive and feeling blessed. That’s what makes us feel good at the end of the day.

Check Back for “Being a Biblical Wife and The Examples we set for our Children”

I’d love to hear your thoughts on this, and hear your advice and insight… Us mothers need to come together and embrace our similarities and our differences so that we can be united and more supportive. I’ll encourage you to share here, in the comments or blog about it and share the link. Thanks for taking the time to read. It means so much

5 comments:

Angie said...

I so enjoyed your post today and am looking forward to the ones to come.
I am a stay at home mom myself. I never thought I could have children and at 39 God blessed me. According to the doctor I shouldn't have been able to conceive but God had other plans and I am so glad He did!I am enjoying every moment of this blessing called "Motherhood" :)

God bless you!

Kim Klassen on April 1, 2010 at 9:24 PM said...

i just popped over here after reading your posting on madeline b... i love this image....

♥kim

{Amy} on April 2, 2010 at 6:55 AM said...

Johnna-
I wanted to comment here as well as on your guest post over at Maeagan's.Great piece on co-sleeping, I loved it and agreed completely with everything you said. I'm enjoying your photos and posts over here now and so glad I was introduced to you through Maegan. Got lots of reading to do over here. Have a great day!

Gloria on April 2, 2010 at 8:26 AM said...

I am visiting from madeline b,,,via Lucky Number 13. Beautiful blog, love your photos too!

janine on April 3, 2010 at 12:32 AM said...

I really admire your decision. I only wish we could have been in a position for me to be at home full time for my kids, but I am blessed that I only have to work 3 days as a teacher. And that allows me holidays at home as well. Love the shades - are they your rose tinted spectacles for the days when being at home with kids all day is NOT the party so many people think it is?!!

Post a Comment