Thursday, April 22, 2010

This Earth



Humankind has not woven the web of life.  We are but one thread within it.  Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.  All things are bound together.  All things connect.  ~Chief Seattle, 1855

Today, is earth day. Everyday is earth day. And what a brilliant home it is. I think so often about the fact the we are all so connected by the earth itself. That the air I breathe has potentially traveled the world, that the rain on my front steps has fallen in all corners of the earth, it has been reused in a most perfect cycle for centuries, never choosing who should enjoy it over anyone else. That the sky I am looking at is your sky... it's the sky Jesus walked beneath, it's the sky that belongs to all of us. That the trees have lived before me, and they will live on after I am gone, and into forever. It's unbelievable how this Earth works, how generous it is and how much beauty there is to behold.


We spent some time at my Mom's today. in the yard. I admired her many trees and plants, I watched the kids swing and enjoyed the gentle breeze. It was calm. It was perfect. When I think about all the lacking parts of the world. All the filth and sadness in the world, it's scary to know that I am sending my children into it. It's hurtful to think that it's really that bad and there is nothing I can do but love them through it.  But when I stop...
Take a moment...
And open my eyes...

I see the world is more full of reasons to smile than to cry, more reasons to rejoice than curse. More love than hate and more hope than I can hold in my arms. 


I thank God for this world he created out of nothing. I thank God for dandelions, grass, mockingbirds, bees and even slugs. I thank god for clouds and rain and sunshine. I thank Him for gentle breezes and cool water. I thank him for blessing us all with a world we don't deserve and for reminding me that our "home" our Earth... is perfectly made. 


Happy Earth Day 

2 comments:

JohnandSheila on April 22, 2010 at 6:15 PM said...

WONDERFULLY said, as always...I agree! I am glad you all had a wonderful visit today, I Love ya all!

Teresa on April 29, 2010 at 6:21 PM said...

Beautiful words and such beautiful images! Happy belated earth day..even though like you said, everyday is earth day! :)

Post a Comment