Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Beautiful, Bold, Bossy Big Sister


The Beautiful, Bold, Bossy, Big Sister
...my ambitious, excitable, social-butterfly, first born...


They always say, you learn on your first... and boy did I have a lot to learn...
I was a shy child, insecure and quiet... not my Lydia. No. The picture for her life was laid before us before she had even had her first bath after being born...

In her Daddy's arms, not an hour old, in a room full of my parents and John's, she smiled this enormous, happy, wild-child smile. We all laughed. Big eyes and wide open mouth, ready for the world, and to be in it's spotlight.

And she still maintains that sparkle. She is ever-posing, singing, dancing and hosting parties for her dollies and teddies.


Lydia is so special, she's smart and sweet, she's brave and thoughtful. I find it amazing, all that she is. She loves to wear dresses and skirts everywhere she goes, she likes her lips coated in gloss and sparkly flip flops or pink rain-boots on her feet ... all this while hunting frogs, toads, worms, butterflies, snakes and any other type of "creepy crawly" she can get her chubby fingers on. She is the most perfect combination of tom-boy and girlie girl. And she is so unafraid of animals. I love that.


She is so sensitive. Some of the things that stick out in my mind...
While driving to the park, past an old cemetary, she began to sob, so much so, I pulled over. I asked her what was wrong. She said "I know that they are in heaven, but all those people have family that misses them so much... isn't that sad, Momma" and we both cried.
When applying for kindergarten last year, she was registered and given a class. We were all so excited.We headed out straight away to buy new school clothes and supplies. Midway through the trip I get a phone call... "We're sorry, Lydia can't attend. We only just now checked her birthday and she didn't make the cut off." I was furious and heartbroken that I had to tell my skipping little girl she couldn't go. And when I did... she looked at me, eyes full of tears, "But Momma, I did practice" and in the middle of Kmart we both sobbed.
And another time, after we had moved to the home we live in now, after Rooster had been born, she decided to run away. Explaining, with most sincere tears, that she just wanted to go back to our old house, before we had Rooster and we only loved her.


... But don't let her fool ya ...
She's got her own list of not so nice qualities. ;) She is so sneaky, on more than one occassion I have caught her setting both Rooster and Layla up to get in trouble. She fibs like no other... scratch that, she bold-face lies like no other. That's always been her biggest issue. And she has absolutely no knowledge of an inside-voice or whisper. If a volume dial goes from one to ten she is on about 7 - 10 all the time ;) She practices for her dream job of "opera singer" at Layla's nap-time and she whines like a pro... but every diva has extremes to her personality so I guess it's pretty fitting :)


She is such a delight to my life and when I think I can't handle the day, she seems to know... she always runs up with a hug and some sweet words or a homemade card to share. She's tender at her core and loves deeply. I love that she loves people so much, that she gives everyone a chance...
I couldn't have asked for a better way to start motherhood... she is such a precious gift

And I will end this with one of those sentiments...
"Momma," she said, looking right into my eyes,"your my best friend, and I don't need to ever get married, I can stay here and be your baby girl, forever."


13 comments:

Misty Wallace on May 12, 2010 at 7:53 AM said...

Priceless!! Words can't explain. I have to admit I wish I had an ounce of your writing ability. You are an amazing woman, You can just sense the love you have for your children, and see it in your photos. Thanks for sharing. My baby girl is 12 almost 13( in june) and into boys, and embarrassed to say "I love you , mom in front of her friends, which my oldest boy never went through that... he still tells me yes mom I am your baby and he loves me, so it is hard but wonderful to watch them grow and develop into mean and women. Thanks so much for your open sharing. These posts on your kids have reminded me how important they are to me, and I to them. Thanks, Johnna !

Sofies Haus on May 12, 2010 at 7:58 AM said...

Hi, I am reading your blog a while already! Today I would like to tell you that I love your pictures!!!They are stunning!!!I love them sooo much! May I ask you which Objective you are using? Hughs from Germany, Anja

Jenny on May 12, 2010 at 8:02 AM said...

Oh Johnna...how touching. Seriously I'm fighting tears. You have such a way with words about her (and everything else, but specifically, right now, her). How magical that she is so perfect, and that you are her mama. She is lucky!

Nana's Making Memories said...

Such gorgeous images and what a wonderful story with them - you should write a book - she reminds me so much of my sweet Carley - she is loud and is beside me asking if it is lunchtime yet - she just ate two hours ago. But like you said with everything loud voice she has - she still has those wonderful sweet moments when she is the angel sent to make our days.

Amber Rosie on May 12, 2010 at 10:05 AM said...

she is amazing, I am glad I have the chance to know all fo your children, all three part of you and John yet insanely different.

maggie fortson on May 12, 2010 at 11:47 AM said...

Love this blog post!! She is adorable :)

Tuesday on May 12, 2010 at 12:17 PM said...

This entry melts my heart :) she's absolutely smart and beautiful! You're blessed to have each other... Your post processing are all amazing, you're very talented :)

Teresa on May 12, 2010 at 2:26 PM said...

oh..what beautiful words, this is so touching!! The photo's are gorgeous and this is just such a lovely tribute to your girl!

tammymcchesney on May 12, 2010 at 2:50 PM said...

This brings a tear in my eye...I wish they would all stay little and in our homes forever! :)

I am so loving your blog, I am glad I stumbled upon it! :)

Jade Sheldon on May 12, 2010 at 2:56 PM said...

Thank you for sharing those heartfelt emotional stories. I can tell that you have special bonds with all of your children and that they deeply love and admire you.

I used to tell my parents that I was going to buy the house right next door to theirs so I would have room for my family and not have to leave them. My dad still brings it up even though I'm 23, haha!

kimi kreations on May 12, 2010 at 4:21 PM said...

I love them all but... the first one is Perfection!!

~kimi~

Beth Simmons on May 12, 2010 at 5:34 PM said...

Awww, thanks so much for sharing about your sweet Lydia's fun personality. It's so amazing to watch your children grow into the person God's wants them to be. I love all the Lydia quotes you shared. The one about running away to when she was an only child is so cute. I think that is about how Madeline is feeling right now:)

Corinne on May 12, 2010 at 6:01 PM said...

That last bit melted my heart completely! What a sweet girl, even with her raw bits :) Thank you for sharing such sweet moments.

Post a Comment