Monday, May 3, 2010

Folding under the Pressure, an Icecream Afternoon



I'll admit it
Somedays I am totally hopless.


I chuck my duties for the day, and on only a whim of hope that they'll behave, I load up the kiddos and go off to do what I want to do, rather than what I need to do.

Today, well, was one of those days.
We went to the Dairy Queen today. The first time I had taken any of them and the first time in forever that I had been. It was fun, we shared our treats and the kids laughed the whole time. No one got mad, no one got jealous, no one bossed...
We were like 4 kids, instead of a Mom and her 3 kids.
It felt so good to steal a moment.


The past few weeks have been trying, to put it nicely. It seems we're all being pulled in seperate directions and Rooster is braver and more dare-devilish than ever. We're dealing with some financial sorting and with John horrible work schedule. I have a pile of Laundry, again, that seems to grow no matter how often I do it, and the sink is beckoning me to empty it of those dishes... Lydia needs reaffirmation that even those she's the oldest I still love her just as much, Layla is going through a "baby-me" phase and our sleep arrangements have been completely uprooted. We haven't made bedtime for something like  weeks. I'm physically and mentally drained and I know John is too...

But taking the time to say "Whatever, I'm doing what I want" even if it was only for an hour, helped. So, okay, I folded under the pressure... but sometimes, in the words of Kenny Rogers... 
''You got to know when to fold 'em'' :)

Have a Great Week!


9 comments:

Meghan Rickard on May 3, 2010 at 12:12 PM said...

I LOVE this post!

Amber Rosie on May 3, 2010 at 12:12 PM said...

This looks like such fun! I am glad you too Kenny's advice! Sometimes we just need to breathe and go with the flow, especially when things are building up.

I will be praying for you all! :)

Maegan Beishline on May 3, 2010 at 12:26 PM said...

I couldn't agree more! I'm seeing now more than ever that there is always something to be done and every once in a while you just have to get off that hampster wheel! Good for you guys!

Rosina on May 3, 2010 at 1:01 PM said...

I totally feel you, Johnna. We all need to do that once in a while! :)

Teresa on May 3, 2010 at 2:42 PM said...

Looks like fun times at the DQ...I completely agree, great post!

Beth Simmons on May 3, 2010 at 3:05 PM said...

What a fun post! You will never regret taking sometime out just for fun, for no particular reason. What a wonderful memory you created today. Thanks for sharing these wonderful images of your adorable family. My family just left and it's a lonely feeling. However, I'm so glad I have photos to reminisce with:)

keli @ kidnapped by suburbia on May 3, 2010 at 4:39 PM said...

I needed this today, so thank you! I'm going to make a point to go do something fun tomorrow - that wrinkled laundry on the couch will still be there the next day.

Misty Wallace on May 4, 2010 at 8:08 AM said...

Wonderful! Looks like you had a blast and got some amazing photos to document the day!! I know where you are coming from there I have those days too, sometimes you just have to make it all about the kids!! Loved reading this. Thanks for sharing!

janine on May 10, 2010 at 1:54 PM said...

I'm sure it was probably a mum under pressure who invented ice cream in the first place! Glad you enjoyed yourself :)

Post a Comment