Wednesday, May 19, 2010

"I Will Not!" :: rising above our struggle



God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.



Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.
--Reinhold Niebuhr
I don't have to ask to know that so many of you are facing hardships right now. From finances, sickness, struggles within your marriages, or perhaps trials with your children. It's crippling, and devastating... at times beyond anything we can process... sometimes, we don't even know where to begin.
Right now, I feel the onslaught of things beyond my control. I am fighting the urge to melt into a puddle and wallow in all the reasons we cannot get ahead. I want to close my eyes to the way things are and scream... I want it to go away... I don't want it to even be an issue... I don't want to be dealing with this, or feeling this.


But... I will not succumb to the crippling fear
I will not submit to the bleak mindset
I refuse to believe that we are anything but blessed and 
I will not let this fleeting time rob me of the beautiful life I have.

Tomorrow will come, whether it comes with rain or warm sunshine
The end of this dark tunnel is just beyond that curve ahead - and
I DO accept this hardship as the pathway to peace.

My faith and hope are not so paper thin that I cannot rise above this struggle...

This will not break me.


I am not superwoman, I am not the vision of positive thinking... I am one, emotional, deep-feeling, desperate woman... 

But I cannot give in. And I will have your silent prayers in my heart... and I will believe that all of us will come to the other side... all of us, beaming with hope.


Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will direct your paths.
Proverbs 3 : 5-6

5 comments:

Maegan Beishline on May 19, 2010 at 5:11 PM said...

Dear Johnna, you don't know how very much I needed to read this right this minute! Luv you! xo

Misty Wallace on May 19, 2010 at 6:11 PM said...

Johnna, I am truly touched by these words. I am struggling with things that are beyond my control, and I know the feeling of pain, and despair you are writing about, so know you are not alone, but I also know Romans 8:28 says And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. It is one of my favorite verses I lean on it all the time. I send hugs your way and know I am thinking of you and praying for you! God Bless!

jana on May 19, 2010 at 8:22 PM said...

Love your faith and positivity; truthfully, I know, my position on the facts of my life is a daily choice; thanks for feeding the faith side, the positive side, the "all is well" side :) appreciated!!

Melissa on May 21, 2010 at 9:11 AM said...

Just stopping by somehow hopping along from blog to blog and wow! I love your photography!!!
How can I follow???

Hannah on May 22, 2010 at 10:25 AM said...

I found you on flickr and followed a link you had there to your blog... let me just say that I SO needed this!! You words really spoke to my heart - thank you SO SO SO much for writing this beautiful post!!! The pictures are stunning, too. =) God bless!! Hugs!

Post a Comment