Thursday, May 27, 2010

Memorial Day



For love of country they accepted death...  ~James A. Garfield

There was a time, not so long ago, when an entire nation believed.
An entire nation stood behind what had to be done to protect what we held so dear.
A whole country of men, women and families, moving as one... support abounding, and pride in holding our security.

But that time has gone...
And now, the few stand, heads held high, accepting death for the love of their country and what she can be, the freedom she represents.
War is ugly. War is sad and angry... but war is not empty. It is not simply violence and hate. I know that war is the inevitable. It is the looming cloud. Our freedom comes at a price, the highest of costs. And no matter how much I would like the world to be beyond that, it isn't and I know that war is necessary, till the world heals... 
Like a mother should protect her child when it is in danger, so these brave men and women fight, unwaivering to protect the soil we call "home" from corruption and devastation. They fight for our saftey.


Some of them return home... ever changed, ever marked for all they have seen or done. They come how new. They come home tired.
Some of them never come home. 

The job of a soldier is not to march in line, spotless uniform, medals gleaming in the sun... the job of a soldier is painful, trying, and seldom seen by those who he(she) protects. It is thankless on the highest level. It is ridiculed and mocked.  
It is lonely. It is terrifying.
It takes parts of them forever.
On this memorial day, and everyday, I do take that moment to think of them with pride. To appreciate all the bravery I know of and all the courage I will never hear of.
I take the time to be thankful for their gifts. The one they paid for with all or part of their life.
I think of the victims some have become and the heroes they all are.
I think of so many.


War will always be ugly
but this freedom...
it is truly beautiful.

But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for,
Is their monument to-day, and for aye.
~Thomas Dunn English

3 comments:

Amber Rosie on May 27, 2010 at 5:51 PM said...

beautifully put/

Laura on May 28, 2010 at 7:07 AM said...

I am covered in goosebumps. For the last 4 Memorial Days, my husband has been an active duty Marine - this will be our first Memorial Day since his term is up. Through 2 tours to Iraq, I experienced what it's like to hold up the homefront while living with the fear of the unknown. Modern technology made it so much more bearable - I would think back to the days of my grandfather serving in WWII and I just couldn't imagine only living off of letters. But that's what they did and they made it.

Your writing style is so beautiful and eloquent.

It breaks my heart that our nation is so divided and yet I'm so deeply thankful for all of the military who, like my husband Matt, put their own lives on hold so they could protect us. So they could give us the right to disagree or to protest or to just sleep safely in our own beds at night.

God bless your family on this Memorial Day weekend, Johnna.

Beth Simmons on May 28, 2010 at 2:22 PM said...

Thank you for writing this wonderful tribute to our soldiers, both past and present. We owe them so much!

Post a Comment