Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Trouble with Boys...


The Trouble with Boys
 ... is that they are a momma's weakness ...
first of all, I DO NOT have favorites, I love all my babies the same and adore all their unique qualities... I intend on writing about all 3 my babies, since Mother's Day Month is here, it's a great time to share with you all the specific reasons I love it so much...


The trouble with boys, is that they are so darn cute. I always say that Rooster (who's real name is John III) is JUST like his Dad. And if you knew John, you'd know it was true.

Rooster has this look and I call it "the charm" ... most mommies with boys know the look I'm talking about. I say it's the same look his Daddy used to make me fall in love... and it's true.
Sweet, right, well, it is and it's also horribly sinister. -wink-
"The Charm" is to be used when Momma says "no" but when he wants her to say "sure honey". The charm is only about 10% sincere, and 90% manipulation.
It's a tool, he pulls out, to get his way and to avoid a dreaded time out. And what's worse, is knowing this, sometimes it still works. It's one of my favorite things about him. But, he's 3 and it's cute... I hope he grows out of it, or a string of girls with broken hearts will be calling our house all hours of the night when he hits middle school.


Rooster is the most incredible kind of honest. He just doesn't lie. He looks right at me, amidst some awful tornado of a mess and smiles saying "Yes, I did it" knowing that the truth will set him free. He is struggling with potty-training still and will tell you "I like my diaper friend and my powder" He'll pee like a little puppy on the carpet then come grab my hand and take me the spot. He hits his baby sister and then stands in front of me, with those big sad eyes "I hit her, I was mean"...
There is nothing harder than punishing a child who tells you the truth.


Rooster is brave. A trait that will serve him well in life but has only by a miracle left him with no stitches or broken bones. He climbs anything he can get a toe-hold on. Literally. The entertainment center, the shelves, the gates and doors, the porch the dog kennel the swing set and slide. It's frustrating, emptying your child's room, then the hallways, then the living rooms... all in hopes that he won't scale the wall and hurt himself, only to find out he still will... we have no cushions on our couches, we have nothing on our walls... and it's still not enough deterrent... but... that's life...


and my life is fuller and more interesting for him. He has taught me a lot about my husband, and reminding me that we all start out carefree... and brave. He tests me, he fights me, and he gives me a run for my money...

But...

He also loves me, so much so... that even in all this struggle I feel it's warmth all around me.

I'll leave you with something he said to me last February ::

"You're my best friend Mommy, and I am your valentine, every time!"

The trouble with boys ... is that they are all the trouble you think you can take... and all the joy your heart will hold.

10 comments:

Kris's Kaptured Moments on May 11, 2010 at 9:41 AM said...

Your words really spoke to my heart today.It is how I would describe my boys. Thanks so much for sharing Rooster today!

Beth Simmons on May 11, 2010 at 9:44 AM said...

I just love this heart warming post about your sweet, good looking boy! These photos of him are fabulous. I love the words you've written and I know he will treasure them when he is old enough to read them.

Nana's Making Memories said...

I loved your blog about Rooster - he is so precious - all of these images are so wonderful and you can tell his personality in them - this is such a wonderful way to share your love with your children. Blessing to you and your sweet family : ) ! ~

loki photography on May 11, 2010 at 10:57 AM said...

So sweet! What a handsome little man!

Becky Riddell said...

That's great Johnna. I can't wait til Caden comes, and I can watch him grow into a rambuntious little boy. When I worked at the daycare, I was always partial to the boys...because of the look you so vividly described. It was so hard to punish when they gave you that little grin with the sad puppy eyes. I'm aware of what I'm about to embark upon, and I simply cannot wait. Boys are fun, and I'm sure mine will be just as rotten as Rooster, and just as charming, which will equal out to be spoiled!

Anonymous said...

I am missing my Rooster as well as all of my darlings I love you Johnna

tammymcchesney on May 11, 2010 at 5:12 PM said...

OmGosh...you hit every sentiment I feel for my twin 16 yr old boys...you are so right! And those images just ooze with "The Charm" you describe! What a handsome guy you have! :)

Denise on May 11, 2010 at 6:37 PM said...

oh Johnna......you brought back memories for me....my youngest one was a climber and so active....he is getting married a month from today........enjoy these days........they fly by fast.......I would love to back just for one day when they were little again......you brought tears to my eyes....

Rita on May 11, 2010 at 8:29 PM said...

Ahhhh, love love love this post. I only have boys and I can't imagine life without them.

OUR WILD ZOO! on May 12, 2010 at 6:07 AM said...

I just found your blog and oh my...I love it. I have bookmarked your site- I so enjoyed your incredible photos and wonderful writing. I could have written this post about my lil Kyler. Boys are so wonderful and perplexing at the same time!

Post a Comment