Friday, June 11, 2010

Creativity Boot camp : Day Six


Hi! Here's the sixth of my 14 posts for Creativity Boot Camp with Maegan!
This two week course will focus on our creativity and pushing ourselves to the next level in our chosen outlet, mine will, obviously be photography :)

Today is the sixth day and I would encourage you all to join in!


Maegan asked us, initially, today, to step outside of our creative box. To try to push beyond our "norm" and do something different.


Photography is something that made ALL my other creative outlets take a backseat, and for 2 years, that's where they've been. But... today, I got out a piece of paper and Lydia's Mega Pencil, in great need of sharpening, and I started doodling. Not to be great at it, but just to see what came out...




And in working with my chosen medium... photography... I am drawn to photograph small things very close and clearly... too step away from this, I photographed my itty bitty wooden elephant in the window sill, through the curtains. I sort of like it...


Journal Prompt :
What are your self-imposed “rules” of creating. What are some characteristics of your work that you seem to inhabit in each of your works? Do you find that you have these same tendencies when you work in a different medium or do you tend to switch rule sets? Brainstorm some alternatives methods, ideas, or techniques for how to escape your traditional style.

My Rules for creating are simple, usually...
1. photograph as much as possible every single day
2. really see and try to convey it through my photos

I have a hard time pinpointing exactly what all my "characteristics" are... I know I love vintage tones, crisp light and close up portraits and I try to fill my backgrounds with all sorts of bokeh. And I think you do see a lot of that in my photos.

I do think that I want to write in a somewhat timeless way, and I think my drawings tend to go in a whimsical vintage or retro vibe. I guess I just like what I like ; )

Today's Theme was "Fluid"... so... non-original me, photographed water, in my adorable Katie Brown bowl...


I think we are so much like water... adaptable to our surroundings, flexible, strong when we have to be... we're easily broken at the surface and we find ourselves crashing into so many things and having to go on in spite of it.
I would like to be more like the water... flowing freely... accepting the dangers ahead and the unknown...



 

4 comments:

Feather on June 11, 2010 at 6:10 AM said...

soooo glad i cam over to your blog! you are so thorough! your pictures are amazing and your doodles are truly fun. i'm inspired by the way you've gotten all today's work beautifully packaged up in this post...i'm somewhat struggling to maintain blog posts while completing assignments and making it all consistent!

Corinne on June 11, 2010 at 9:02 AM said...

I love how you stepped out of the box, but stayed true to your artistic self! The curtain picture is breathtaking - and the water... wow! Nice job :)

Whitnee on June 11, 2010 at 12:08 PM said...

Your blog is so inspiring!! Beautiful photographs!! I completely agree with you about water. Lately it's become an obsession of mine!

Michelle on June 11, 2010 at 9:00 PM said...

Wow! I love the water shots - the color, the focus, the details...

Post a Comment