Monday, June 7, 2010

Creativity Bootcamp : Day Two


 Hi! Here's the second of my MANY posts for Creativity Boot Camp with Maegan!
This two week course will focus on our creativity and pushing ourselves to the next level in our chosen outlet, mine will, obviously be photography :)

Today is the second day and I would encourage you all to join in!!

 Journal Prompt :

Do you shy away from calling yourself an artist? If so, what do you think makes someone else an artist and not you? What are some ways that you can start today to outwardly reflect your inner artist? Name three people who you would be comfortable sharing your creative work and projects with.

Being an "Artist" is something that I associate with others... I suppose by definition, that IS what I am... but it's a word that I feel I need to earn, and I am still inside of that process. It's strange... I know the logic... anyone who creates something is an artist. My husband is an artist when he writes music for a song. Barb is an artist who creates amazing jewelery. Maegan is an incredible photographic artist. William Blake was an amazing literary artist, and Da Vinci was a truly gifted renaissance artist... I guess I just feel like in the wide-range of artists I know and respect, I am still the student, still the admirer. I suppose to me art is an emotion... and being an artist holds huge emotional connection for me, it's the place I want to be... it's just ahead...
I know this sounds silly, but the simplest thing that I struggle with, is the confidence to snap pictures anywhere and everywhere. I am just now feeling okay about snapping photos at events of anyone and everyone. I am only just now comfortable walking outside and taking pictures of the details that no one else notices. Sure, I know they think of me as the crazy lady with a camera, but that was a big step toward letting people know that I am embracing creativity. I also started this blog... writing is something I feel... something I need, and to express that, and not care who looks is something else that defines my creative journey. I also... on a more physical level, find myself embracing the side of me that dresses the way I feel... not just clinging to 3/4 length sleeves and pants into the summer just so I can cover the body I am uncomfortable with... I bought a sundress, and while it's black, it is embracing the parts of me inside rather than focusing on my outside... which is very liberating and sparks a lot of freedom in my creative journey as well... 
Sharing my journey toward becoming an "artist" is something that I struggle with too... you may not think so, since here I am sharing with all of you... but you all are coming from a similar place, we are moving independently, but together... and there is such safety in that... but in my life here, in Camden, well... probably the three people who will be the most honest but gentle are My Hubs, My Friend Jess and my Sister. My mom's are biased ;) as you can imagine. But I am so thankful for the net of support I do have.


Our Theme today was Picnic... 




I had a lot of fun with this, I wanted to do something a little different, so I set up a "trap" and managed to capture this huge clump of ants all over Layla's leftover birthday cake!

O, and isn't that ant in the second shot that is looking right at me, the cutest! What a ham! -wink-


(sooc are the smaller shots)

8 comments:

Stephanie on June 7, 2010 at 6:35 PM said...

Beautiful colors on these photos!! What do you use? Also, I totally see the "hammy" ant... funny!

Corinne on June 7, 2010 at 6:43 PM said...

I just love your take :) Ants... how traditional an accompaniment to picnics, yet what an unconventional approach!

Beth Simmons on June 7, 2010 at 6:46 PM said...

Such a lovely post Johnna! Believe me, you are an artist in the truest sense of the word! An artist that I admire so much! I so identify with what you are saying here. I am having a hard time with this one. I most often feel like an impostor:) Thanks for another great post.

Teresa on June 7, 2010 at 6:48 PM said...

haha..what a creative take on picnic! I love seeing ants up-close, they are so interesting. I totally understand what you wrote about being brave enough to take photos everywhere...of everything. It's something I am struggling with too...really for me it just kind of depends on my mood. Some days I am more "whatever, I don't care" than other days. :) Great post.

Jenn on June 7, 2010 at 6:53 PM said...

He sure is a cutie. I have the same issues as you when it comes to labeling myself as an artist. I'm perfectly comfortable rolling around in the grass taking pictures of whatever as long as I'm alone, but when I'm around others, I turn inward, I keep my creative mind to myself and let moments that I wish I'd captured roll right by.

Chesney on June 7, 2010 at 7:53 PM said...

Now that is creativity at it's best, and what a great perspective...a picnic at an ant's level! Very cool!

Oliag on June 7, 2010 at 8:18 PM said...

I came over here from the CBC flickr group and I'm glad I did...all these photos are wonderful...

Shell on June 8, 2010 at 3:09 AM said...

Great post and fantastic photo's, love the cheeky ant :) I definitely think of you as an artist, and in the short time I have been following your blog you've inspired me to try and take more photographs and be more creative with them, so thank you :) Looking forward to your next post!

Post a Comment